UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA
DEPARTMENT: Tuition Support and Facilitation of Learning (DTSFL) DIRECTORATE: University Teaching and Learning Development (DUTLD) POSITION: Curriculum and Learning Development Specialist (P6) (Ref: CLDSpe/DUTLD/P6/95-2018-sb)
The purpose of the job is:
To advise and assist academics in the Colleges (and colleagues who need training, support and guidance) with:
- The accreditation of academic qualifications and programmes.
- The design and development of curricula that are in line with Programme and Qualification Mix
(PQM) of Colleges.
- The design and development of study material that responds to all the relevant policies related to
teaching / tuition of Unisa.
- Tuition support ensuring that academics integrate blended, active and e-leaning approaches, and
alternate / innovative assessment strategies.
- Project management support for implementing the Framework for the implementation of a Team
Approach to curriculum and learning development in order to enhance teaching and learning of students to improve the achievements and throughput in the Colleges.
- Honours degree or BTech or Postgraduate Diploma or Advanced Diploma, preferably in Education, Curriculum Planning, Educational Technology or Instructional design.
- 6 years’ experience in Higher Education of which 3 years’ experience must be in aspects related to instructional design.
- Open Distance Learning (ODL)-theories and research.
- ODL delivery system design.
- South African Higher Education and Training legislation and policies.
- South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
- Global trends in adult learning principles and methodologies.
- Curriculum development.
- Materials design and development.
- Instructional design/learning development/development of learning experiences and environment.
- New/innovative educational and communication technologies.
- CHE/HEQC quality management system.
- Application of technology to teaching and learning.
- Various delivery methods and blended learning solutions.
- Quality assurance in Higher Education.
- Education practices and curriculum and learning theories.
- Subject related policies, practices and trends.
- Must be analytical, innovative, flexible and with attention to detail
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Good coordination, decision-making, problem-solving and time management skills
- Advise and assist academics in the Colleges and colleagues who need training and guidance with regard to the evaluation, development and accreditation (programmes and qualifications) of curricula according to the Programme Qualification Mix (PQM).
- Design and development of academic programmes, modules and study material within the Open Distance Learning (ODL) context according to the guidelines provided in the Higher Education Qualification Framework (HEQF) and those of South African Qualification of Authority (SAQA) and the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET).
- Personal development and professional citizenship.
- Provide guidance with the design/redesign of programme/modules to ensure coherence of learning
and achievement of outcomes.
- Advise academics and colleagues on how to implement quality assurance procedures and
monitoring systems to deliver quality tuition.
- Keep abreast with the latest theories and research findings in ODL in order to advise and assist
academics and colleagues regarding best practices in Curriculum design and development.
- Develop competencies that will contribute to the enhancement of tuition and learning.
- Serve on the committees and task teams in the Directorate, Departments and the University.
- Design and develop modules for blended and online delivery.
Assumption of duty: Salary:
As soon as possible
Remuneration is commensurate with the seniority of the position 8 May 2018
(012) 429 3861 (Mr S Bila: HR Staffing and Client Services)
- The completed prescribed application form (HR-PA 001) must be accompanied BY A COMPREHENSIVE CURRICULUM VITAE and ORIGINAL certified copies (within the previous six months) of:
all educational qualifications,
identity document; and
proof of SAQA verification of foreign qualifications
- Professional and administrative positions are available on the UNISA website
- The prescribed application form is obtainable from Unisa Intranet – Forms- Human Resources
- UNISA reserves the right to authenticate all qualifications without any further consent from the
- The contact details of three contactable references must be provided, one of which must be from
your present employer. Should you currently not be employed, a contactable reference from your
previous employer must be provided.
- UNISA is not obliged to fill an advertised position. We welcome applications from persons with
- Hand delivered application forms can be deposited into the Application Boxes situated at the
following locations at the Muckleneuk Campus: Main Entrance, OR Tambo Building, 3rd floor.
- By email: [email protected]
- All applications should reach UNISA before 16h00 on the closing date.
- Appointments will be made in accordance with Unisa’s Employment Equity Plan and other applicable
- Late, incomplete and incorrect applications will not be considered.
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within two months after closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.